Friday, June 26, 2009

R.I.P. Michael

I'm not going to lie. It's been a long time since I cared what Michael Jackson did or didn't do. Probably 20 years. So why should I care that he's gone now?
I remember when I was in the 2nd grade, my mom and dad told me I could invite anyone from my class that I wanted and take them to Chuck-e-Cheese for my birthday. My best friend gave me a present, flat and suspiciously album shaped. Opening it up and seeing Michael's smoky eyes staring back at me from the cover of Thriller, well I was smitten.
Michael became my first star crush and I took that record home and played it so much the grooves almost wore through.
I begged my grandfather to buy me Michael Jackson stickers and took them to school to trade for other memorabilia like Michael Jackson buttons and posters.
And I remember when a kid at our school showed up with a sequin studded white glove his mom had made him and we all made fun of him because it was for the wrong hand.
I think he meant more to some of us than we'd like to admit.


Recycled Notebook by IKC. Design


Messenger Bag by Dunzo Custom Graphics


Wall Art Decal by Paula's Decal

3 comments:

lesley [smidgebox] said...

love it. i too have a special place in my heart for mj. i was young when the thriller video came out, and remember being absolutely terrified of it, but somehow compelled to watch. the good old days of young mj were indeed that, good.

Little Willow said...

I need to have those decals! I wrote a post about your paintings on my blog today, http://www.littlewillow.com/ Enjoy!

P-nut said...

Thriller was my first vinyl album. I remember being at Sam the Record Man with my mom and begging her to buy it. I knew all the words to every single song. When he died my mom actually called me at work to tell me and ask me if I was okay. It was very cute.